Joe Heyob, W'18 - Wrestling
1. Name: Joe Heyob
2. Class Year: 2018
3. Sport: Wrestling
4. Position: Captain
5. Why did you choose Penn?
6. What does the experience of being a Penn Wrestling student-athlete mean to you?
I’m a member of the toughest group of men on campus. Everyday we get to wake up and hone our resilience, wit, and strength through the trials of one-on-one combat and academic exploration.
7. What would you say to the donors who invest in your experience as a Wrestling student-athlete?
Thank you. Any former wrestler knows the value of character development through meticulous preparation, training, and competing. It is widely know that the prestige and resources of University of Pennsylvania are second to none. I realize that you are enabling this experience for which I am immensely grateful.
8. What has been your favorite moment/memory with Penn Wrestling?
The moment when I’m watching my teammate put a whopping on some guy and the match ends, then I realize that it’s my turn to go do the same.
9. What does life after Penn look like?
I haven’t yet committed to a job offer, but I’ll be further developing as a data scientist. Ideally I’ll work with interesting data across industries while fine-tuning my technical skills.
10. What are some lessons that you have learned through athletics at Penn that will stay with you after graduation?
Success isn’t transactional. I am not entitled to an outcome because I trained the hardest or even because I performed the best. Rather than obsess over the unfairness of life and my failed efforts; I find fulfillment in the journey of constant improvement alongside my peers.