1. Name: Gavin Barger
2. Class Year: 2019
3. Sport: Men’s Soccer
4. Position: Defense
5. Why did you choose Penn?
I chose Penn because of the guys on the soccer team. They made me feel like I would have a family away from home.
6. What does the experience of being a Penn Soccer student-athlete mean to you?
I love being able to represent this school. I feel honored to have “PENN” written across my chest every time I play.
7. What has been your favorite moment/memory with Penn Soccer?
My favorite memory thus far was our win against Cornell during my freshman year. It was the first Ivy League game of my career, and I felt like I was finally living my childhood dream of playing soccer at an Ivy League school.
8. What has been your favorite class to date and why?
My favorite class so far was Social Psychology because I found concepts that I learned applicable to my life.
9. What does life after Penn look like (where you live, what you will be doing)?
After Penn I eventually want to move back to my hometown, Fallston, Maryland, to raise a family.
10. What are some lessons that you have learned through athletics at Penn that will stay with you after graduation?
The most important lesson that I have learned so far is the importance of hard work. Playing a sport at Penn is physically and mentally demanding, but the rewards that follow are priceless.
11. Last year, over 220 Penn Soccer alumni, family and friends made a financial contribution to your program to help provide you with things like equipment, training tools, uniforms, travel to away games, meals on the road, sports medicine and sports performance. What would you say to those who invest in your experience as a Soccer student-athlete?
I would like to say thank you for all your generosity. We are extremely grateful for the resources that you have provided us. We hope to continue to represent your legacy as we compete for Penn.