A newly endowed head-coaching position at Penn Athletics was made possible by a gift from David M. Brush, C'82 and Karen Clark Brush, W'82, naming the women’s soccer head-coaching position the Douglas N. Brush Head Coach of Women's Soccer. Nicole Van Dyke, the Quaker’s head coach since 2015, is the first to assume the new title. Beyond its direct impact on the women’s soccer program, the gift helps build a sustainable financial foundation to support the continued success of Penn Athletics. David Brush serves as the Soccer Sports Board Chair and as a member of the Athletics Board of Overseers.
Endowments are long-term accounts that require a minimum balance. The principal is invested and the income earned from the investment is partially distributed in accordance with guidelines established by the donor and the Athletic Department. Currently, Penn Athletics has a programmatic spending rate of 4.5%. Net returns from the investment earned over the 4.5% spending rate are reinvested back into the endowment, increasing the endowment pool’s overall market value.
For example, a $1M endowment that produced a rate of return of 8% in year one, would yield $45,000 (4.5% spending rate) to be distributed to the Athletic Department for operational expenses. $35,000 (8% yield – 4.5% spending rate) would then be reinvested back into the endowment pool leaving a balance of $1,035,000 minus any fees.
Endowments are critical to the long-term success of Penn Athletics because they provide a steady source of income that maintains its value in perpetuity.
Endowed Coaching Positions
- Baseball - W. Joseph Blood Head Coach
- Men's Basketball - John R. Rockwell Head Coach
- Crew - Nicholas B. Paumgarten Head Coach, Men's Heavyweight
- Crew - Fred W. Leonard Head Coach, Men's Lightweight
- Crew - John R. Rockwell Assistant Coach, Men's Lightweight
- Fencing - Young Family Head Coach of Fencing
- Football - George A. Munger Head Coach
- Football - Clarence S. Rockwell, VMD Assistant Football Coach
- Men's Lacrosse - James H. Greene, Jr. Head Coach
- Men's Soccer - James C. Gentle Head Coach
- Women's Soccer - Douglas N. Brush Head Coach
- Men's Tennis - Albert G. Molloy Head Coach
- Track & Field - James P. Tuppeny/Betty J. Costanza Director
- Wrestling - Roger Reina Head Coach
Available Endowment Opportunities
- Basketball, Women's
- Crew, Women's
- Field Hockey
- Soccer, Women's
- Tennis, Women's
Penn offers many ways to establish endowments, all of which can be customized to help Penn Athletics and the donor achieve important goals. Endowment gifts are all 100% tax deductible. To learn more how you can make a permanent impact on Penn Athletics, please contact the Penn Champions Club at (215) 898-4717.